Your baby’s dentist should know just how to care for your baby’s first tooth. With the initial infant exam, our practice will help establish a relationship between your child and our caring Beaufort dentists. This first check-up is an important early step for monitoring your baby’s heath, and even your child’s first couple of teeth can be vulnerable to tooth decay, putting their permanent teeth at risk. Put your child on the trail to good oral hygiene with Lowcountry Family Dentistry and call us at 843-986-0177.
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that children visit a dentist to receive an initial dental exam within six months of when their first tooth erupts. These first dental visits are designed to establish a dental home and help your child begin developing positive associations with visiting the dentist.
A typical Child’s Dental Exam appointment will include the following:
- The dental team will greet you and your child.
- We will review the health history of your infant and your family.
- Our dentists will ask about your child’s oral habits, pacifier use, diet and general development.
- We will perform a gentle examination of your child’s teeth and gums, during which we will note any teeth that may appear in coming months.
- We will provide advice on brushing, flossing, how to prevent oral injury, fluoride intake and other topics to help you keep your child’s mouth healthy at home.
- We will provide a description of your child’s current oral health in detail and make any needed recommendations about oral habits, toothbrushes and toothpaste, diet, and pacifiers.
- A schedule of regular appointments will be created by our team for your child.
- We will address your questions and concerns.
Remember, if you are calm, your child will feel calm. You can help your child feel happier and more comfortable in the dental office by being positive and calm yourself. You can encourage your child to develop positive associations with visiting the dentist by avoiding threatening language and providing positive explanations about what will happen during the appointment.
Schedule A Consultation
Our team understands that you might have questions when it comes to your child’s initial dental visit. When it’s time for your child’s fist dental visit, we would love to hear from you and answer any of those concerns. Our Beaufort dentist office welcomes pediatric patients and offers personalized care for all children. To make an appointment with Dr. Ashley Covington or Dr. Perry DuRant, contact us at (843) 986-0177 or request an appointment online.