The dental industry is dominated by male dentists. In fact, prior to 1980, female dentists were a very small percentage of the dental workforce. Fewer than 3 percent of all dentists in 1980 were female. Even while the rate of female participation in the dental industry has increased, today women represent an estimated 19 percent of the dental workforce in the USA.
Patient experience suggests that male and female dentists vary in their attitude to their clinical practice. Several studies found that female dentists have a more precautionary viewpoint. Females generally take a more conservative method to restoration and encourage more preventive tactics in the early stages of disease.
A Female dentist and a male dentist do not seem all that different at first glance. They have to go through the same schooling and training and both must be certified in order to practice dentistry legally. There are some differences that can change the way a patient is treated and cared for between the two. Female dentists can provide different benefits and these can make a patient more comfortable based on their preferences.
Why do some people prefer a female dentist? There could be many reasons. Female dentists tend to have smaller hands than their male counterparts, this can make it more comfortable for the patient and easier for the dentist when they have to get in the mouth and work. Female dentists are also typically better listeners and more nurturing based on various studies, this allows them to hear the concerns of the patient and plan treatment accordingly. Historically female dentists take a different approach to treatment as well. There are multiple reasons to choose a female vs a male dentist, you just have to do what is more comfortable for you.
But on top all of that, there are some additional benefits to choosing a female dentist. Several academic studies have explored the differences between male and female dentists. The results are fascinating and show that having a female dentist holds several key benefits for patients.
Patients that visit a female dentist receive some fascinating benefits. Here are a few of them.
- Prevention – A recent study found that female dentists were more likely to recommend prevention strategies earlier in the treatment process. Women dentists may be much better at prevention. Researchers found females had a much greater preference to offering cavity prevention routines to their patients much earlier than their male colleagues. These recommendations include fluoride treatments at home. These treatments, the study found, saved patients money in the long run.
- A conservative approach – Other researchers found that the best female dentists take a more conservative approach to restorative dentistry. A more conservative approach often results in less pain and less expensive solutions.
- Anxious patients – Many patients experience a great deal of anxiety about going to the dentist. Research has shown that female dentists may be better at listening to their patients. This could help patients feel more secure and comfortable during their treatment.
- Pediatric dentistry – Parents should know that female dentist are more likely to recommend that young patients use fluoride treatments at home. This sort of preventative treatment in the comfort of the home can also have huge benefits for parents and patients.
- Bedside Manner – Some patients believe that women are more nurturing and feel that women are more empathetic, making them better at putting themselves in other people’s shoes. This makes for a better bedside manner and makes patients feel more at ease. Women also have motherly instincts to support patients and introduce more human-centered healing. This makes female dentists more thoughtful with patients on a higher level.
- More Gentle – There is one final difference between a male and female dentist. Some patients like the idea that women have smaller more delicate hands, making it easier for female dentists to work inside of a patient’s mouth with minimal discomfort. When it comes to doing tooth extractions, surgeries or major work in your mouth, a smaller hand is preferred and much less invasive.
Talk with a female dentist today
A great way to feel more comfortable about visiting a female dentist is to talk with them beforehand. Both male and female dentists provide amazing dental care to their patients, in fact, Lowcountry Family Dentistry has one of each. Though it can be helpful to speak with them before any formal appointment is done. Getting familiar with each dentists approach may help a person to feel more comfortable, all around.
Gentle female dentists will provide dental care that is approached delicately and calmly which can significantly help children, pregnant women and people that are just under high stress or anxiety.
If you have questions that we didn’t answer in this article, then reach out to our office so that we can help you further. Our trained professionals can help you understand how a gentle female dentist can benefit you. Give us a call or stop by today!