Nitrious Sedation (Laughing Gas)
by Lowcountry Family Dentistry | Beaufort, SC
Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) is one of several Sedation Dentistry options available at Florence Family Dentistry to significantly reduce your fears and discomfort.
Benefits of nitrous oxide:
- It’s effective for mild to moderate anxiety
- Proven safety record
- Offers an analgesic (pain relieving) effect
- It’s quick-acting, with few side effects
- You don’t need someone to escort you to and from the office
- You can return to normal activities immediately
- In many cases, you can get ALL of your dental work done in one visit
Nitrous oxide is best suited for cases of mild to moderate anxiety and is the most frequently used sedation method. Under nitrous oxide you remain conscious and able to breathe on your own, with a sense of total well-being (euphoria). Patients generally recover quickly, often with little memory of the procedure.
How Does it work?
Nitrous oxide will put you at ease so you experience little to no discomfort; however, we will also administer a local anesthetic to ensure that you don’t experience any pain. At this point in the procedure you’ll be so relaxed that you’ll hardly even notice.
A procedure utilizing nitrous oxide generally requires one to two visits. During your first visit, Dr. Covington will take a detailed health history. If you’re comfortable, she will look in your mouth and take dental x-rays. Next she will carefully explain what you can expect during the procedure and will patiently answer any questions you may have.